Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Presidential Primaries Need to be Fixed!

This USA Today opinion (Ludicrous Leapfrog) column makes some good points about the farce that the presidential primaries have become. I like the proposal it gives for fixing this mess:

The best idea is regional primaries that rotate every four years, so no part of the country always gets to go first. A lottery could let a few small states vote early, to allow for retail campaigning.
It's too late to change the demeaning free-for-all of 2008 (or is it 2007-08?), but the major parties could create a new system for 2012 if they're frustrated and embarrassed enough. They should be.

2 comments:

Ceroill said...

They could but they won't.

BAWDYSCOT said...

The rotating plan sounds workable. That or maybe have all the primaries and caucuses on the same day. I like this idea because there could possibly be less advertising in the overkill camp and more in the imformative camp. I cannot even defend my state as Arizona has joined the group by moving up to Feb. 5th just today. I also believe this is the second time we have moved up.

This subject kind of dovetails with some thoughts I have been having lately about how shitty humans and their organizations of all stripes end up looking. Maybe I am paying attention in the wrong direction, but the "me first" ethic has become an epidemic and it doesn't help when it includes adults in powerful positions; positions most of the rest of us look up to as an example. The free-for-all is on.