Does anybody think this is a wise expenditure at this point? Think about what $720 million could buy instead:
- Health Insurance for an adult costs $4,403 per year. $720 Million could cover 163,525 people.
- The average cost of a new elementary school is $8,497,627. $720 Million could pay for 84 brand new schools.
- It costs $624 to give a child free school lunches for a year. $720 Million could buy lunch for 1,153,846 kids.
- An affordable housing unit costs around $111,061. $720 Million could buy 6,482 homes.
- A year of Head Start costs $7550. $720 Million could open 95,364 new slots.
- The average cost of renewable electricity for a home is $565/year. $720 Million could pay for 1,274,336 homes to have it.
- An average school teacher’s salary is $57,000. $720 Million could put 12, 478 new teachers in the classroom.
- The average cost of a four-year state university is $20,628. $720 Million could put 34,904 students through college.
- Health insurance for a child costs $1,700 per year. $720 Million could cover 423,529 kids.
Are we any safer for having invaded Iraq? I don't think so. Add in the cost of the lives lost and the billions squandered and it is a sorry fucking state of affairs that this administration (and the rubber stamp Congress) has gotten us into.
Here's hoping Obama wins and gets us out of Iraq quickly.